Prof. Ruslan Z. VALIEV
Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Ufa, Russian Federation
Position: Professor and Director, Institute of Physics of Advanced Materials, Ufa State Aviation Technical University, Russian Federation; Head of Laboratory for Mechanics of Advanced Nanomaterials, Saint Petersburg State University, Russian Federation
Area of expertise
The results of R.Z. Valiev’s scientific activities are multifaceted, and they are reflected in a number of books and monographs, as well as in scientific papers and reviews. Prof. Valiev is the author of over 700 articles in archival scientific journals, over 13 well-known monographs, and special issues and reviews. He is among the most highly-cited scientists in the world in the area of nanomaterials and nanotechnology science and engineering: the total number of his citations exceeds 39,000 times (according to WoS), and his h-index = 91. Professor Ruslan Z. Valiev is one of the inventors and pioneer researchers in the area of science and engineering of bulk nanostructured materials from severe plastic deformation (SPD) in Russia and in over the world. His early work was devoted to evaluating the unique mechanical and physical properties of these new materials, and he published several highly-cited papers describing these properties of bulk nanostructured materials. Presently, Valiev’s works make a significant contribution to physics of superplasticity in materials, creation of scientific basis for nanostructuring of metals and alloys by SPD, discovery of non-equilibrium grains boundaries in poly- and nanocrystalline materials and development of models for their description.
Thus, Prof. Ruslan Z. Valiev has been one of the first in the world who discovered, and investigated principles of creation of nanostructured bulk metallic materials by SPD processing and presently, his research interest is mainly focused on allowing enhancing the properties of structural and functional metals and alloys with various chemical compositions at a new level. The recognition of this fast developing scientific area in materials science will give an impulse not only to fundamental investigations in bulk nanostructured materials but also to accelerate their practical application in various branches of engineering and medicine.
For his achievements and successes, Prof. Valiev was elected to the membership of the European Academy of Sciences (EAS) in 2009 and was awarded the AvH Foundation Research Award (2001, 2007), EAS 2011 Blaise Pascal Medal in Materials Science for outstanding scientific achievements as well as First Annual Materials Science & Engineering A Journal Prize (November 2010), Scopus Award Russia 2011, 2014 TMS Fellow Award, 2015 Somiya Award, Web of Science Awards 2017 in the category of HIGHLY CITED RESEARCHER RUSSIA (awarded February 15th, 2018; Clarivate Analytics) and many other. He is founding member and Chairman of the International NanoSPD Steering Committee (http://nanospd.asso.univ-lorraine.fr/).
List of selected research articles and books:
- S.X. McFadden, R.S. Mishra, R.Z. Valiev, A.P. Zhilyaev, A.K. Mukherjee, Low-temperature superplasticity in nanostructured nickel and metal alloys, NATURE, Vol. 398 (1999), pp. 684-686
- R.Z. Valiev, R.K. Islamgaliev and I.V. Alexandrov, Bulk nanostructured materials from severe plastic deformation, Progress in Materials Science, Vol. 45 (2000), pp 103-189
- R.Z. Valiev, Nanomaterial Advantage, NATURE, Vol. 419 (2002), p. 887-889
- Ruslan Valiev, Nanostructuring of Metals by Severe Plastic Deformation for Advanced Properties, Nature Materials, Vol. 3, pp. 511-516 (2004).
- R.Z. Valiev, T.G. Langdon, Principles of equal-channel angular pressing as a processing tool for grain refinement, Progress in Materials Science, Vol. 51 (2006), pp. 881-981
- P.V. Liddicoat, X.Z. Liao, Y. Zhao, Y. Zhu, M.Y. Murashkin, E.J. Lavernia, R.Z. Valiev, S.P. Ringer, Nanostructural hierarchy increases the strength of aluminium alloys, Nature Commun. Vol. 1 (2010) paper number 63, pp. 1-7
- X.D. Wang, Q.P. Cao, J.Z. Jiang, H. Franz, J. Schroers, R.Z. Valiev, Y. Ivanisenko, H. Gleiter, H.-J. Fecht, Atomic-level structural modifications induced by severe plastic shear deformation in bulk metallic glasses, Scripta Mater., vol. 64 (2011), pp. 81-84
- RZ Valiev, I Sabirov, AP Zhilyaev, TG Langdon, Bulk nanostructured metals for innovative applications, JOM 2012, vol. 64, No. 10, pp. 1134-1142
- R.Z. Valiev. Large tensile elongation (New and Views article), Nature Mater, vol. 12 (2013), pp. 289-291
- R.Z. Valiev, A.P. Zhilyaev, T.G. Langdon, Bulk Nanostructured Materials: Fundamentals and Applications, 2014 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 456 pages
- I. Sabirov, N.A. Enikeev, M.Y. Murashkin, R.Z. Valiev, Bulk nanostructured materials with multifunctional properties, Series: SpringerBriefs in Materials, Springer, 2015, IX, 161 p. 64 illus., 19 illus. in color
- R. Z. Valiev, Y. Estrin, Z. Horita, T. G. Langdon, M. J. Zehetbauer, Y.T. Zhu, Fundmentals of superior properties in bulk nanoSPD materials, Materials Research Letters, Vol. 4, No. 1 (2016) pp. 1-21 DOI: 10.1080/21663831.2015.1060543
- K. Edalati, T. Masuda, M. Arita, M. Furui, X. Sauvage, Z. Horita, R.Z. Valiev, Room-temperature superplasticity in an ultrafine-grained magnesium alloy, Scientific Reports 7: 2662 (2017) 1-9
- I.A. Ovid'ko, R.Z. Valiev, Y.T. Zhu, Review on superior strength and enhanced ductility of metallic nanomaterials, Progress in Materials Science 94 (2018), pp. 462-540
- R.Z. Valiev, I. Sabirov, E.G. Zemtsova, E.V. Parfenov, L. Dluhoš, T.C. Lowe, Nanostructured pure Ti for development of miniturized biomedical implants, Chapter 2.9 in «Titanium in medical and dental applications», 1st Edition (ed. by F. Froes, M. Qian), Woodhead Publishing 2018, No. of pages 608
- M.H. Shin, S.M. Baek, A.V. Polyakov, I.P. Semenova, R.Z. Valiev, W.B. Hwang, S.K. Hahn, H.S. Kim, Molybdenum disulfide surface modification of ultrafine-grained titanium for enhanced cellular growth and antibacterial effect, Scientific Reports, (2018) 8:9907
- I.P. Semenova, R.Z. Valiev, T.G. Langdon, High pressure torsion and equal channel angular pressing, Chapter 1 in: «Nanocrystalline Titanium» ed. by H. Garbacz, I.P. Semenova, S. Zherebtsov, M. Motyka, 2019, Elsevier, pp. 3-19
- I.P. Semenova, G.I. Raab, R.Z. Valiev, Combined processing ECAP + TMT, Chapter 2 in: Nanocrystalline Titanium (2019) Elsevier, pp. 21-35
Researcher ID: D-5371-2009